Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Anyone used Holts Tyre weld and then repaired the tyre?

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2007, 02:35 PM
swisstonihasher
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone used Holts Tyre weld and then repaired the tyre?

Just wonder if anyone's used Holts tyre weld and had easy/hard time getting the puncture fixed?
Old 23 October 2007, 04:25 PM
harvey
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't remember if it was Holts or another make but yes I have had that done.
Initial reaction from the tyre depot was they could not do it. I then went to a friends garage where I repaired it myself with a mushroom type plug which was pulled throught he hole leaving the large flat patch inside and pulling a round rubber plug through and cutting flush with the tread.
It is still on the rear axle now, perhaps 2500 miles later. Holds pressure as well as the rest and will have run at high speed on a number of occassions.
Old 23 October 2007, 04:40 PM
swisstonihasher
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by harvey
Can't remember if it was Holts or another make but yes I have had that done.
Initial reaction from the tyre depot was they could not do it. I then went to a friends garage where I repaired it myself with a mushroom type plug which was pulled throught he hole leaving the large flat patch inside and pulling a round rubber plug through and cutting flush with the tread.
It is still on the rear axle now, perhaps 2500 miles later. Holds pressure as well as the rest and will have run at high speed on a number of occassions.
Hmm, that's what I was worried about...tyre places saying "nope, cant deal with that now, tyre scrap" even though they could of done a bung without the holts weld in...The instructions says it can be washed out but seems like no firm will do it!

Cheers Harvey..

Tony.
Old 23 October 2007, 11:33 PM
budge28
Scooby Regular

I work for a tyre fitting company and we are not allowed to repair tyres that have had any tyre weld in them.
Its beacause of the chemicals and fumes given off from the tyre weld. The patch may not stick properly so therefore we could not gaurantee the safety of the repair. I guess they have found this out somehow in the early days of the tyre weld!

Repairing it yourself is another thing altogether, Your car, you fixing, any problems your fault.

When you are paying for a service you want it done 100% safely, if they cant do that, you can see why they wont repair it and you shouldnt really want them to. All imo