Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

claning alloy wheels. (l=baked on brake dust)

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2009, 03:33 PM
mystery inc.
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default claning alloy wheels. (l=baked on brake dust)

hi. i bought some refurbed aloy wheels. fitted then about 4 weeks ago,and now they look s**t. seems the brake dust from the pads has baked itself onto the wheels. i clean them once a week and they are still a bitch to clean. left them two weeks without washing. tried cleaning them today.
but the dust will not come off. i have used half a bottle of wonder wheels,half a bottle of auto glym wheel cleaner,meguiars brush tooth brush and that was just on one wheel. took me over half hour to just about clear it. it still has patches on the spokes. any suggestions on cleaning them. i need to change the brake pads. because i cant keep spending £20 every month on wheel cleaner.

paul g
Old 24 January 2009, 07:40 PM
doubledutch
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by mystery inc.
hi. i bought some refurbed aloy wheels. fitted then about 4 weeks ago,and now they look s**t. seems the brake dust from the pads has baked itself onto the wheels. i clean them once a week and they are still a bitch to clean. left them two weeks without washing. tried cleaning them today.
but the dust will not come off. i have used half a bottle of wonder wheels,half a bottle of auto glym wheel cleaner,meguiars brush tooth brush and that was just on one wheel. took me over half hour to just about clear it. it still has patches on the spokes. any suggestions on cleaning them. i need to change the brake pads. because i cant keep spending £20 every month on wheel cleaner.

paul g

try brick cleaning acid works atreat
Old 24 January 2009, 09:18 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by doubledutch
try brick cleaning acid works atreat

Wonder wheels is diluted concrete acid. Concrete acid will remove laquer and ruin your alloys.

Are your calipers seized? Brake dust should not cause that amount of stubborn dust in such a short time.Excess heat will bake on the dust
If normal washing does not work try a clay car. Take a look at www.detailingworld.com for some sound advice. Best of luck. Bob
Old 26 January 2009, 12:53 PM
jpmilling
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

i use TFR.

traffic film remover. sh*t hot stuff. whatever you decide to use try to apply a wheel wax afterwards as this may help with future cleaning.
Old 26 January 2009, 01:22 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

hi mate,get your hands on some meguires wheel brightener it will clean up your wheels a treat also as the reply said above get yourself some wheel wax to seal them when there clean if i was you i would change the pads if there low becase worn pads will always produce more dust and if there comletely gone the metal fillings that come off when you use the brake is a complete bugger to get off.plus worn pads very dangerous to drive with.hope this helps.
Old 26 January 2009, 05:22 PM
mystery inc.
Scooby Regular

thanks for all the replys. the pads are nearly new. just checked them. the calipers aint sticking. going to spend another couple of hours cleaning them with some meguires. got some autoglym alloy wheel protector. will use that and some wax i think. the fronts aint too bad. just the rears. would it be ok to fit standard pads on the rear with pagid ebc red stuff ceramic pads on the front.

paul g
Old 26 January 2009, 06:58 PM
johnson12
Scooby Regular

If that does not work i would try autosmart tardis as that will shift anything.