Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

17' to 18' wheels, Ride Quality?

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2009, 07:20 PM
vance1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 17' to 18' wheels, Ride Quality?

Hi, I'm thinking of getting some new alloys for my 03 sti and don't know whether to go for 17's again or go up to 18'. What I don't want to do is make the ride any harder. Has anybody any experience/advice of doing this before I spend my money? I remember someone saying that you won't notice the difference between the two as its only going from 45 to 40 section tyres, is this right? Thanks for any help!!
Vance
Old 24 January 2009, 09:04 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

i went from 17" to 18" on my '07 WRX and actually thought the ride improved, was still as hard but less 'choppy'
Old 24 January 2009, 09:11 PM
prwatts
Scooby Regular

I bought my 06 STi with 18" wheels and 225.35 Goodyear Eagle tyres and the ride was very hard.
I went back to stock 17" wheels with Dunlop 235.45 tyres and am very happy, with a marginal loss in cornering.
I have just today fitted BC coilovers (BC Racing UK - Suspension Systems) and am very happy, and they are by far the cheapest out there. I can now ride to the Centipassi on a comfort setting, once there turn the dampers up in 30 seconds, and have fun. Peter
Old 25 January 2009, 11:33 AM
vance1
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies, still unsure as two conflicting replies! I see you went from a 35 profile to 45, whereas I think the recommendation for 03 sti is to go up to 40 , so less of a change , is this right? I was also thinking of changing the suspension and was looking at the Apex route but didn't want an unacceptable ride for long journeys. Is it better than standard?
Thanks
Old 25 January 2009, 01:35 PM
turboDean
Scooby Regular

newage cars tend to run 225/40/18, 35 profile is normally used on classic's
Old 25 January 2009, 01:39 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont forget 40 is relational to the width of the tyre....
Old 25 January 2009, 05:18 PM
prwatts
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vance1
Thanks for the replies, still unsure as two conflicting replies! I see you went from a 35 profile to 45, whereas I think the recommendation for 03 sti is to go up to 40 , so less of a change , is this right? I was also thinking of changing the suspension and was looking at the Apex route but didn't want an unacceptable ride for long journeys. Is it better than standard?
Thanks
My STi 06 is MUCH better with the BC Coilovers. I turn the damping right down and my test piece of road, where the car bounced like crazy on stock suspension, is now fantastic. My wife used to moan "There's no way I going all the way to Nurburgring in this car!" Today she said "It's fantastic, I love it" I live in Derby. You are welcome to come and take a ride.
Look, you can get BC's with viscious spring rates, but I did my homework and specified 5/4. I think 6/5 's will also be ok, but I am building a GT. I wanted an Audi RS4 ride and I now think I have exceeded it. Very satisfying. I have learned a lot with this mini-project, and I am very happy with the BC Coilovers and Apex Performance get 10/10. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss this further off-line. Peter
Old 26 January 2009, 10:37 AM
vance1
Scooby Regular

Anybody with any other experiences/thoughts?
Old 26 January 2009, 04:46 PM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by vance1
Anybody with any other experiences/thoughts?
I went from 17's to 18's on my wrx with Sti suspension and thought handling improved. I was a bit worried about tramlining but with good tyres haven't had any problems. Definitely want to go 225/40/18. 35 profile might be a bit boneshaking.
Old 26 January 2009, 08:06 PM
IainCam
Scooby Regular

I went from the std 17s on the 06STi to 235/35/19s and the ride is better on them (on both Toyo T1Rs and Goodyear Eagle Asy) than it was on the original RE070s.

Can't say it feels any "rougher" at all, am still using the std suspension.
Old 27 January 2009, 07:32 AM
mgcvk
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IainCam
I went from the std 17s on the 06STi to 235/35/19s and the ride is better on them (on both Toyo T1Rs and Goodyear Eagle Asy) than it was on the original RE070s.

Can't say it feels any "rougher" at all, am still using the std suspension.
Yes, but 35 would be the correct profile on 19's whereas on 18's 35 profile would effectively be altering the ride height slightly.
Old 04 March 2009, 05:31 PM
Andy916
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prwatts
Look, you can get BC's with viscious spring rates, but I did my homework and specified 5/4. I think 6/5 's will also be ok, but I am building a GT. I wanted an Audi RS4 ride and I now think I have exceeded it. Very satisfying.
Interesting. I have 5/4 inverted BCs on a classic and general ride is good, but very crashy over potholes. I think this is down to the combination of solid topmounts and not very much high speed compression damping. How's yours over potholes?

Andy
Old 04 March 2009, 06:11 PM
prwatts
Scooby Regular

Yes, but I only get crashing over deep potholes, manhole covers etc. so I take it as a warning. The BC's still represent good value for money coupled with good service from Apex. These are my first aftermarket coilovers and the bottom of the BC range.
I hear varying reports about how long these things last. My research lead my to EXE-TC until I saw the price; they have a good reputation, despite also having their problems (corrosion etc...) so at the end of the day if someone asks my opinion I will point them to BC's. These are Taiwanese.
A lot of coilovers are made in Holland so I would hope they have thought of our peculiar environment in Eurpoe, but I am sure they, like everyone else, source components in the East. I hear good things about Tein and Cusco although both have their detractors. And they are all more expensive.
Old 05 March 2009, 09:16 AM
Andy916
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prwatts
Yes, but I only get crashing over deep potholes, manhole covers etc. so I take it as a warning.
Aye, indeed. Quite a bit depends on what roads you're on most of the time. Here in Cambs I'm happy enough with the BC's, and they work well on track which was my other priority, but when I travel up to West Yorks they're literally a pain in the ****!

Major difference to OEM (and to exe-tc I believe) is travel as well as spring rate. The cheap coilovers have limited travel.

Corrosion problems with exe-tc are from before they started to use stainless steel construction, I think, which was a couple of years ago.

Andy