Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Changed Brakes - Now there is a noise! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2009, 07:32 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Changed Brakes - Now there is a noise! Help!

Hi,

Today i have changed all my Pads, Disks and hoses and removed the calipers completly.

Ive now put it all back, and it brakes fine, straight and true. However... When i go round a roundabout (i.e. turn right) a little bit quicker than normal speeds there is a grinding noise. Faster i go louder it seems to be (at the point where im throwing the car in). It seems ralated to corning G rather than speed. i.e. if i turn sharper the noise is louder..yet if i turn when going slow no noise..

The noise is clearly coming from the rear left. So i took them both off again. Only things i could find is...one pad was loose once i removed the caliper. This was because the u shaped clip was not springing correctly on the pad meaning it could move easier than the others.

Second thing i found was the brake shoes for the hand brake were not perfectly adjusted so did that also.

The rear Right side i took off again also and it seemed all fine.

Disks seem on fine, everything just looks perfect. Just this problem when turning right.

Im thinking: The u shaped clip sping thing needs replacing to better retain the pad. Im thinking its lack of spring means the pad gets thrown onto the disk when turning right. more spring = less pad movement so no noise??

Or possibly wheel bearing..? (only happens when turning quickish. and wheel is solid when jacked up)

The sound is like a grinding/hollow grinding noise like something is touching the disk..Its not a quiet noise, you defninatly notice it, and notice that its wrong..

Any ideas welcome im really scratching my head to what it could be...

Last edited by scoobyc; 24 January 2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 24 January 2009, 08:51 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Rekon it could be the backing plate for the hand brake?
Let's Find An Answer To This Semi-Common Problem - NASIOC

I checked the big sheild but no the smaller one. will check that tomorrow. Perhaps ill put a tiny bit of paint onto it and see if it rubs off before i go about chopping bits away.
Old 25 January 2009, 11:52 AM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Yes this was the problem. I only had about 1-2cm of rub on the cover that that was enough. Ground that back and the problem is 100% fixed! yipee!