Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Brake pads, are they worn or not!?

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2009, 05:18 PM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Brake pads, are they worn or not!?

Hi guys, I got a little bit of a problem with my brakes, and the fact that they are rubbish! I was told at my last service (at 64k miles) that I would probably need new pads, and possibly discs at my next service. The car has just gone over 68k miles now, and recently I've been noticing the brakes sounding a bit 'grindy', as if some of the pads are down to the metal. Lastnight I needed to jam on cuz of some idiot pulling out infront of me, and the car was really hard work to stop, so I definitely need to do something about it now rather than waiting til my next service I think!!

I've just been out to take pics of the pads cuz I'm gonna be honest.....I don't really know what I'm lookin at! This is the front driver's side........

When I first looked at this pic I thought the thin orange line around the pad that's next to the disc.....was actually a thin bit of pad left.....but then I opened my eyes properly and I don't think that's the case. Has that got any pad left? Is it down to the metal?

This is the passenger side front........

See that to me looks like it's down to the metal? But one of my mates seems to think it looks okay. I did only send him a crap quality pic on my phone in all fairness. Is there any pad left on that pic?

I can't really get a photo of the rear pads cuz they're akward to get to look at. But they look pretty much the same as all the fronts. Back discs aren't very lipped at all, just a teeny tiny bit on the edge, but the front ones are nearly lipped by 1mm I'd say........

Disc surface seems smooth to touch tho. Do you think I'd be okay just getting new pads and sticking with my current discs? Probably impossible for you all to tell by just looking at crap photos, but I would appreciate any thoughts or comments you guys have anyway Cheers!
Old 25 January 2009, 05:36 PM
scoobychippy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from what i can see the pads look like they have lots of pad left! disc i cant really tell!
Old 25 January 2009, 05:38 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't look low to me. On the pad itself, close to the hub, you can see a piece of metal. That is the low wear marker, and when they get really low that touches the disc. As you can see there is a fair way to go before that gets there.
Old 25 January 2009, 05:49 PM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

Hey thanks for your quick responses guys I was kinda hoping everyone would say they were down to the metal tho lol, cuz if they're okay..... then there's no obvious reason as to why my brakes have suddenly gone rubbish
Old 25 January 2009, 05:53 PM
scoobychippy
Scooby Regular

have you checked the brake fluid! might have a leak or some thing!
Old 25 January 2009, 06:08 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Look at the inside pads as they'll wear quicker than the outer ones.

nick
Old 25 January 2009, 06:14 PM
Mrfastbaz
Scooby Regular

little bit of wear on the front discs but the pads look like they have plenty left...
Old 25 January 2009, 08:25 PM
mystic_magic
Scooby Regular

Discs are defo warn a bit, some are rubbish when they get a lip on them

Pads look ok though

Defo check fluid as suggested incase its got air in it or needs top up
Old 25 January 2009, 09:23 PM
scooby(puppy power)
Scooby Regular

if you've been doing some heavy braking you could have glazed the pads and/or boiled the fluid, rear discs do look a bit worn and if your going to put new discs on you will need new pads at the same time, also could any of the pistons in the calipers be seized

Last edited by scooby(puppy power); 25 January 2009 at 09:24 PM.
Old 27 January 2009, 11:51 PM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

Thank for all your help so far guys, it's much appreciated! Me & a mate jacked the car up lastnight and decided that none of the calipers were sticking, and we took all the wheels off aswell and had a better look at the inside & outside of the discs & pads all round, and they all seem fine really! Am gonna change the brake fluid now when I get a chance becuase we think that's possibly the problem. I'm not really sure how hard the pedal is meant to be....but like you press it fairly hard until you think the brakes are fully on.....and then if you absolutely force it, it will go in a bit more like, and just feels like ur pushing against air. Surely there will be a tiny bit of that extra movement tho if you force against even the best brakes? I dunno. Will have a go anyway, see what difference it makes