GSD3's - how long before track?

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2009, 09:06 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GSD3's - how long before track?

Hi,

Basically my front tyres are **** from previous owner. Want to do a track day on Sunday. If i put some gsd3's on the front tomorrow will they scub in intime for the track on sunday? (approx 150-200 miles) - i guess so??

I have potenza on the rear so im hoping if i go for gsd3's instead of asyms i wont make the rear dangerously less grippy than the front. Also the gsd3's are half the price..

Bear in mind i am planning on going for asyms with new rims in the near future. Just thinking this could be a quick fix to better balance the car.

What you lot think?
Old 26 January 2009, 10:53 AM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

anyone?
Old 26 January 2009, 01:50 PM
Xia
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Normaly I'd say keep the crap tires for the track day and use brand new tires for the normal driving, when an emergency braking in the wet mean life or death. New tires tend to degrade even faster than half life tires on track as the get hotter faster. I once went through 60% of a set of new T1R at Rockingham (forgot my spacers so I had to use my day to day wheels)

But the GDSD3 is one of the few tires not to go to pieces from new so you might get away with them surviving the day. (mileage might vary but I have one on my track day set and a friend has 4 of them as trackday wheels.)

Remember, track day is for fun not speed, and you have way more fun without thinking about wasting £200 of tires money

Last edited by Xia; 26 January 2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 26 January 2009, 04:25 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

i have inf040 front tyres.....

Im chaning to the gsd3s tomorrow.

Seriously the inf040's are dangerous in the wet which it will likley be. For the sake of 140 quid i would prefer more front end grip. The car handled pretty well last time however the front just drifted wide on some corners, just didnt have the bite it needed. Especially on the final curve into the straight.

The inf040 are ok in the dry, but dreadful in the wet. The inf's will be back on the rear of my car for rockingham skidpan

Will be nice to compare the two.

Last edited by scoobyc; 26 January 2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 27 January 2009, 08:50 AM
Xia
Scooby Regular

What you describe is the normal understeery nature of the WRX (not sure what you drive). My car (MY05) was like that before new antiroll bar and geometry adjustments.

If you think its the tires, then swap front and back.
You can also play with tire pressure, over inflating the rear will give you less overall grip but will give you a better balance.

If you do track day on regular basis, then invest in a anti-rollbar and geometry setup, its a must at least on the WRX. Never been in a STI so cant tell if its the same.

My first trackday with the WRX after the first 2 hours of being impressed by how quick and grippy the car was going I realised how much the car lacked in handling. My much slower xsara VTS was also miles better handling wise.

The next track day was after suspension mods and it felt so good that in the afternoon I wasn't accelerating in between corners, just slotting 5th gear till next corner to play with the car...
Old 27 January 2009, 10:35 AM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Changed the fronts to f1 gsd3's this morning for £138 fitted (Bracknell Tyres n Batteries <- were awesome fast n friendly (HiQ wanted £250 :O ))

Went for a quick spin, and although they have not scrubbed in yet the improvment over the inf040's is staggering. The feel of the car is much more positive, turns in shaper and feels like the wheels are more connected.

Just looking forward to wearing them in a little before trackday on sunday. They already feel like a performance increase. Could be good for a couple of seconds a lap!

Well pleased. Looking forward to getting my 17/18's now with asyms. then i can put r888's on these

chuffed.
Old 27 January 2009, 10:39 AM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Yeah i expect some understeer, nature of the beast n all that. I have new arbs drop links alk and geosetup etc etc lined up. But probably not for another month or so (contract ends in a month so final month of last ditch saving incase it doesn't get renewed). if it does then i'll get it properly sorted.

I think However these tyres were def the problem. Time will tell but initial impressions are good.
Old 27 January 2009, 10:45 AM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

A lap or two would scrub them in, let alone 160 miles
Old 27 January 2009, 12:00 PM
vindaloo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cmasterScoob
Changed the fronts to f1 gsd3's this morning for £138 fitted (Bracknell Tyres n Batteries <- were awesome fast n friendly (HiQ wanted £250 :O ))

Went for a quick spin, and although they have not scrubbed in yet the improvment over the inf040's is staggering. The feel of the car is much more positive, turns in shaper and feels like the wheels are more connected.

Just looking forward to wearing them in a little before trackday on sunday. They already feel like a performance increase. Could be good for a couple of seconds a lap!

Well pleased. Looking forward to getting my 17/18's now with asyms. then i can put r888's on these

chuffed.
Potenzas.... If the rears are S03PPs, watch them like a hawk if it's even remotely damp or wet. In fact I'm tempted to say, stick the Goodyears on the back. The S03s have monster sidewalls and carcass strengh compared to the Goodyears. As a consequence, they can be a little snappy.

Evo tyre test, dry/wet constant cornering G force. S03PP came out very well in the dry but poorly in the wet. Goodyear is far stronger in the wet.

J.
Old 27 January 2009, 01:16 PM
Xia
Scooby Regular

Have fun!
Old 27 January 2009, 04:00 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

yeah the rears are fine. Getting pretty good at getting just enough **** out and putting the power on. They seem progressive enough. I cannot remember which potenza's they are.

nice feeling when the rear starts catching up with the front n just kinda pulls it round previously the final long corner at brands i couldnt really get on the power as it just slid. hoping these will give a little more front bite to put a bit more power through the corner. we shall see eh.

What these have bought me if nothing else. Is piece of mind!