Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Performance Friiction stuff

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2009, 10:15 AM
McWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance Friiction stuff

Ok So i had my car serviced at Zen a few days back and while it was there i mentioned my brakes were causing me no end of grief and fading extremely easily as well as vibrating when hot.

Paul had a chat with me about it and the disks on there looked good so no need to change. Decided to get a set of PF pads fitted all round and all i can say is what a difference! Immediate bite, great stopping power and no fade at all so far. Just good stopping power.

Definately a massive improvement over the brembos and the other aftermarket pads I have tried

Thanks for the Advice Zen
Old 29 January 2009, 11:52 AM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree
Old 29 January 2009, 12:08 PM
Juice
Scooby Regular

isit a rumour or are they more of a harsh compound pad making it bad for the oem discs (eventually)
Old 29 January 2009, 01:27 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Could not comment about the standard disc issue, as I run pads and discs and they are awesome even better with the ABS disconnected

Banny
Old 29 January 2009, 01:31 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Juicep1
isit a rumour or are they more of a harsh compound pad making it bad for the oem discs (eventually)
nope - no rumour.

ds2500's ruined a std set of discs on my car.
Old 29 January 2009, 03:34 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

PF Z Compound are not too hrash but IIRC PF01's are more for trackwork & may be harsh on OEM discs.

All high performance pads will wear out std discs faster than OEM pads as they bite harder & sharper. But Im happy with that as a trade off, in fact I want to wear out the std discs so I can fit PF discs!!!

In ref to your Pm: I find the PF Z pads bite very well from cold, even in these temperatures, though they did take approx 300 miles to bed in proper as I didnt do the 100mile to zero stops! Cant really comment on fade as havent been on track with them yet but am sure they will be good as they generate less heat than many other pads from what I have read.

Last edited by rickya; 29 January 2009 at 03:37 PM.
Old 29 January 2009, 04:35 PM
a16pse
Scooby Regular

Default pf

looking forward to fitting mine at the weekend got front and rear with goodridge hoses for my 06 STI so should be quite good, ps does any one know the correct bedding prosess for the PF pads, cheers steve.

Trending Topics

Old 29 January 2009, 05:03 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

http://aztecperformance.co.uk/Docume...0Procedure.pdf
There you go
Old 29 January 2009, 05:05 PM
a16pse
Scooby Regular

dam internet wont let me open up the link you sent me , and thank you very much for the speedy reply, cheers steve.
Old 29 January 2009, 06:44 PM
F1 CJE UK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by a16pse
dam internet wont let me open up the link you sent me , and thank you very much for the speedy reply, cheers steve.
Interested to see how you get on with them, need new pads for my car. Fitted the arb yet

Old 29 January 2009, 06:46 PM
mbayley77
Scooby Regular

I use PF pads with Brembo disks and they are awsome.

Done lots of track days, a trip to the ring and 4000 road miles and still just fine.

Im getting them again after these are gone
Old 29 January 2009, 06:59 PM
a16pse
Scooby Regular

fitting the ARB on saturday with rest of stuff , ps you can now view my profile chriss.
Old 29 January 2009, 07:29 PM
mbayley77
Scooby Regular

a16pse - messages full chap.

Not sure about the running in process for these pads though.
Mine were put on the night before driving 600 miles to the nurburgring so I believed that was loads of normal driving before giving them everything.

Normally I just drive normally for about 200 miles before giving them too much abuse.

Anyone here have an official line on running in? I always get different stories so tend to play it safe.
Old 29 January 2009, 08:13 PM
mystery inc.
Scooby Regular

how are lot finding them pads for brake dust. i have a set on the rear and my new alloys are ruined. covered in brakes dust, and its near impossible to remove.

paul g
Old 29 January 2009, 08:54 PM
mbayley77
Scooby Regular

I silicon spray my wheels which makes it real easy to remove any brake dust with a dry cloth.
Old 29 January 2009, 09:36 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I should probably clear up a few points on these products:

1. For road and trackday use, the Z rated trackday pads are the business, and what I'm referring to below.

2. Brake wear, compared to OE parts, brake wear on both discs and pads is REDUCED. That's right, these pads not only work better, they last longer, and they make the discs last longer too.

2. Road use, they are excellent, provide great bite from cold and hold a steady torque, they are better when used with the PF discs, as they (this discs) have better venting and the dimpled surface.

3. Dust, they create normal levels of dust, and in extreme cases where OE pads are fading and nor working properly, the PF pads will be less dusty. while not fading.

4. Race compounds, like the 01 pads used in the rear of Mystery's RA, are more prone to disc wear, squealing and dusting, that's why PF came up with the Z rated pads after 20 years of race compounds.

5. Life, the PF pads last longer than OE pads, and extend the life of OE discs, the PF discs provide ever greater life and enhanced braking for fast road and trackday use.

6. Application, unfortunately the z rated pads are mostly available for the higher end OEM applications, and applications for the US hire car industry (where they offer extended life and good braking for hire car abusers!). They are not currently available for the WRX 4 pots, and many race style calipers. Boo hiss!
Old 29 January 2009, 10:30 PM
a16pse
Scooby Regular

glad to hear this pavlo cant wait to get them fitted, do you know the best way to bed them in mate.
Old 29 January 2009, 10:38 PM
finchyboy
Scooby Regular

I run 330mm PF rotors on my AP 6 Pots with DS2500 pads as it's a road car truly amazing performance.

PF stuff is worth the extra money if you can afford it "does exactly what it says on the tin"
Old 30 January 2009, 06:34 AM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Pavlo just fitted 330mm 2 piece PF rotors to my Prodrive Alcon brakes. Great bite and they look pretty damn fine too ( brown stuff is Copaslip)...

Old 30 January 2009, 07:21 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

I'll vouch for all of what Pavlo says..

Wear:
I get 20,000 miles per set of fronts (pf discs would have lasted about 40k if I hadnt killed one by crashing)
Still not worn out the rears in 41,000 miles on std discs that also have plenty of life left in them.

Dust:
Way less than Ferodo DS2500

Bite:
More than enough on the road and on track they are still good enough to lock R rated rubber at the end of a 20 min session on track

Fade:
Never happened to me with them on track (and it's been there a bit)

I have never felt the need to put a big brake kit on as these work.
Old 30 January 2009, 08:20 AM
bluenosewrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pavlo
I should probably clear up a few points on these products:

1. For road and trackday use, the Z rated trackday pads are the business, and what I'm referring to below.

2. Brake wear, compared to OE parts, brake wear on both discs and pads is REDUCED. That's right, these pads not only work better, they last longer, and they make the discs last longer too.

2. Road use, they are excellent, provide great bite from cold and hold a steady torque, they are better when used with the PF discs, as they (this discs) have better venting and the dimpled surface.

3. Dust, they create normal levels of dust, and in extreme cases where OE pads are fading and nor working properly, the PF pads will be less dusty. while not fading.

4. Race compounds, like the 01 pads used in the rear of Mystery's RA, are more prone to disc wear, squealing and dusting, that's why PF came up with the Z rated pads after 20 years of race compounds.

5. Life, the PF pads last longer than OE pads, and extend the life of OE discs, the PF discs provide ever greater life and enhanced braking for fast road and trackday use.

6. Application, unfortunately the z rated pads are mostly available for the higher end OEM applications, and applications for the US hire car industry (where they offer extended life and good braking for hire car abusers!). They are not currently available for the WRX 4 pots, and many race style calipers. Boo hiss!

I have PF Pads and discs fitted to my car (06 STi) and they are awesome to say the lest however i have to say Boll*cks to No 3. My front wheels are ruined due to the high amount of brake dust that they produce and i have only done about 3,000 miles since i fitted them.

I have had to buy 2 new front wheels for the car and have tried all the products to clean them, the rears on standard pads etc are fine.

Just beware of that guys, i dont mind that much as i had severely curbed them anyway.

Mac
Old 30 January 2009, 09:01 AM
rickya
Scooby Regular

I always thought carbon metallic compound pads would wear out discs slightly faster than normal compound pads??
Old 30 January 2009, 09:42 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

No - they rely on a transfer of the pad material to the face of the disc. This then acts with the pad itself to create an efficient braking surface.
Old 30 January 2009, 10:04 AM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by a16pse
looking forward to fitting mine at the weekend got front and rear with goodridge hoses for my 06 STI so should be quite good, ps does any one know the correct bedding prosess for the PF pads, cheers steve.
I will echo everything that everyone has said about PF due to Dunk's review ages ago I bought some over getting AP's Im running the 01 pads they have done countless trackdays and still have plenty of meat on them I bedded them in as per the instructions 3 hard braking points from variouse speeds if I remember it was 30/50/70+ then a quite amble for a few miles ,stopped looked checked the disks to see if they had a nice colouring the only thing you have to watch with them is you have to be careful braking for the first mile or so until there is a bit of heat built up in them when driving on the road.
Old 30 January 2009, 12:28 PM
Juice
Scooby Regular

so where would be the cheapest place to get PF stuff (for those who may be thinking of askign this Q)

I understand Aztec performance have some pretty hot deals on at the moment.....£195 + delivery for front and rear pads

£599 for front discs and pads (plus delivery) or if you want to have matching rear pads that will be £665 IIRC

and just front discs are £511 plus delivery

can anyone beat those prices?

PS: i must say i think the slotted design looks well sexy....

shame about the dust tho

Last edited by Juice; 30 January 2009 at 12:29 PM.
Old 30 January 2009, 12:35 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

All correct, except front discs/bells set is £499 + Next Day Delivery = £511

We have a Price Promise on all our products, so won't be beaten on price.

Price Promise

In stock, but only 2 sets left
Old 30 January 2009, 01:02 PM
Juice
Scooby Regular

will you get more of these at the same price after the last two have gone?
Old 30 January 2009, 01:12 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Yes, but the price will likely to be some 10-15% higher.
Old 30 January 2009, 01:56 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

I have the PF Discs and pads and they are a good set up.

I have to agree with above posts that these things do give off an awful lot of dust and is very difficult to clean off. I have recently had to have my wheels refurbed as they had got that bad.

I washed the wheels last Saturday and it must have taken me a solid hour to just get the wheels clean.
Old 30 January 2009, 05:04 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

I've kept on top of the dust by waxing the wheels - if I don't wash the car fro a while then the dust is more of a pain to remove.

Had PF discs & pads since day 1 and have now done 34k miles with virtually no wear (no track work). I can see them being transferred to another car when this one gets returned at 60k miles.

The Prodrive kit I had on my last car went through two sets of pads and discs by 60k miles, yet the PFs are cheaper than the Prodrive replacements and not much more than OEM items.

Quick Reply: Performance Friiction stuff