Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Fitting Godspeed Handbrake Shoes

Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2009, 06:37 PM
LWells
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fitting Godspeed Handbrake Shoes

How easy is this to do? I recieved them along with some nice new Front Discs and DS2500 pads the other day. I can fit Discs and pads no problems at all but was wondering how hard it will be to fit the Brembo rear calipers/handbrake shoes..

Local Garage Quoted £85 but i thought I could have a go myself and save a few £ as spent a fortune recently!

anyone got a guide or would you not recommend attempting this one?

:-)
Old 02 June 2009, 09:09 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Try a search on here. I think there was a "how to" posted a few months, or a year back by Alcazar

Basically, it's not rocket science.

Soak the old caliper bolts overnight in WD40, then use a GOOD ring spanner/socket to remove them..........if you can find a SIX sided spanner/socket instead of twelve, so much the better

Remove the discs after making sure the handbrake is OFF, and backing off the handbrake shoes if necessary. Use M8 bolts threaded into the two holes in each disc to push the disc off if necessary, but DO NOT force it too much, make sure handbrake shoes aren't keeping it in place

Then you need to clean the backplate up with a wire brush, identify the spot welds and drill them out with a SHARP 8mm drill. Touch up the drillings and repaint the whole supporting piece with Hammerite or Smoothrite. The new discs will NOT fit over the existing backplate.

By now the hanbrake shoes are exposed: take a pic, or make a drawing to show you how they go back together, as some parts are resused. Smear sliding surfaces with Copper slip, after giving them a good clean up with a wire brush etc.

The handbrake shoes come off by gripping the tops of the studs that pass through them, then through a spring, with pliers, and pressing the spring while turning the stud. It's easier to do than to describe

Refit all parts, after a good clean up and fit new shoes, Fit new discs, and set handbrake shoes.

Fit calipers and new pads.

Takes about an hour to do the first one, 45 minutes to do the second
Old 03 June 2009, 01:22 PM
RED2
Scooby Regular

done mine myself quite easy, as above take a pic before you take them apart so you know where everything goes when you put them back together
Old 12 June 2009, 08:42 PM
LWells
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies guys, just managed to check this thread as been busy working all week, we are having a go tommorow if the weather holds out.. if it all gets to much il put it back together and take it the garage!

Il do a search on the how to guides..

Why do i need to drill bits? i presume this will become obvious when i take things apart but i was not expecting that..

cheers

Leon
Old 12 June 2009, 08:58 PM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

I'm assuming you are fitting the larger discs from an STi, hence the larger handbrake shoes?

If so, you'll find that the original disc backplate, the sort-of protective bit BEHIND the DISC, will not allow the fitting of larger discs, since it curves in at the edge of the smaller disc.

It's only held on by around 8 spot welds, hence the need to drill them out and remove it
HTH,
Old 12 June 2009, 11:32 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by tanyatriangles
Try a search on here. I think there was a "how to" posted a few months, or a year back by Alcazar
I liked Alcazar, he was so much wittier than you !

dunx
Old 13 June 2009, 07:43 AM
tanyatriangles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dunx
I liked Alcazar, he was so much wittier than you !

dunx

LOL
Old 14 June 2009, 12:12 PM
LWells
Scooby Regular

Well it took a bit more than a couple of hours! but they are on :-) they had sent me X2 right hand side shoes but luckily i was able to knock the pin out and swap it round.

Quick question, how much should a car dip at the front when you brake hard? someone said mine looks like it dips a lot, tried a friends and his also dips, the rear brakes have cleaned off and after a good thrash round they were hot enough to burn you so im sure they are working ok!

Thanks for all the Help, hints on spot welds etc came in handy :-)