Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

How do I fit my new EBC TGD discs?

Search this Thread

Old 24 March 2002, 09:37 AM
wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't find any advice on how to fit front discs to my MY00 (standard 4 pot set up)
Old 24 March 2002, 02:39 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
wrx, it's really easy. But can be hard work.

1) Take those EBC discs back.

2) Get some Pagid discs with Mintex/Pagid/Ferodo pads of your choice, according to application. From ScoobySport.

3) Jack up car and remove wheel. It is the wheel that hold the disc in place so it should now be loose.

4) Remove caliper (just a couple of bolts) and get something for it to sit on instead of just hanging by the brake hose.

5) The disc should now just pull straight off. Sometimes they do, but most times they will have coroded and need tapping/smacking with a mallet or something to loosen them off. Occasionally, they will really be stuck on solid and there is no alternative to brute force.
If it comes to this, make sure you've got a solid jack under there (not the one from the car kit, as the car is going to move around a bit now) and put an axle stand or two under the car as well.
Now belt it hard from behind. No joy? Then get a (very) long piece of wood and with the help of a mate, run it under the car from the opposite side. One of you holds the wood against the back of the disc while the other hits the other end hard. Move the disc around. It'll come off eventually.

6) This is the most important bit. You must remove all rust and corosion from the hub so the new disc sits true and square. Wire brush on a drill is best.

7) Remove top of brake master cylinder and squeeze the caliper pistons fully home. You can do it by hand, but it's much easier with a pair of big adjustable-jaw pliers. With pliers, use a piece of cardboad to protect the outside face of the caliper from scratching. As you do this, the fluid in the master cylinder will rise. Make sure it doesn't overflow. If you have real problems here (unlikely, but possible) you've got a sticky piston which needs professional attention. Get your Subaru dealer to check it out.
If you've followed the advice in 2) above, fit some quality pads. Good pads and high quality discs will revolutionise your brakes. Compared to stock (crap) they will be night and day.

8) Slip your new Pagid discs on, slide the caliper into place and bolt it up firmly. Re-fit wheel and pump the brake pedal. It will go flat to the floor at first as you flood the pistons but two or three presses will restore everything to normal.

9) Ditto for the other wheel.

10) Bedding in the new discs and pads is very important, but ain't rocket science. You have simply got to get a set of cold components to work in harmony when very hot, and ensure the pads and disc surfaces mate smoothly. It should take no more than 50 miles. Start with six very gentle stops from 60 to 30mph. Allow the brakes to cool, then the same again with a bit more pressure. Now the same routine, but increase the brake pressure as you go from gentle to firm. Cool off, then same again using firm to hard pressure from 60 to 20mph. Cool off and repeat. Same again, just for good measure.
Now enjoy your new brakes.

Good luck

Richard.

PS Edited to add that Mark at Tyres Northampton changed two front discs for me in under 15 minutes. I think he has done it a few times before

[Edited by Hoppy - 3/24/2002 2:45:55 PM]
Old 25 March 2002, 07:19 PM
wrx
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the advice will now have a go, fingers crossed.