Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Yoko Advan Neova AD08 review

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2010, 01:25 PM
Grant74
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yoko Advan Neova AD08 review

I have just fitted these onto my classic, replacing a set of Toyo T1r's. To be honest I never got on with the Toyos due to the sloppy sidewall, which I havent noticed on other cars, but when pushed its very apparent.

The Yokos are a fairly extreme road tyre for the car, with a strong dry weather bias. By comparison, they are revelational. The sidewalls are very stiff, and the grip and predictability excellent in the dry.

On the edge they howl a little before they start to slip, so you do get some warning, and to be honest, I havent got them to slide yet.

On a wet road, they seemed OK, but you have to drive with a little caution- these arent wet weather tyres, so they are more satisfactory in this respect.

So all in very impressed- I dont expect great wear from them, but have a hillclimb at the end of the month, and a trackday the week after. I will run them in the hillclimb (as they are on list 1a for production cars), and will do a few laps on the track day with them and report back (I have other tyres to trash fro the track day).

Cost wise, I paid £130 a tyre fitted, and they are an excellent improvement.
Old 10 August 2010, 07:36 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Camskill never seem to have any stock...

dunx
Old 10 August 2010, 08:32 PM
Grant74
Scooby Regular

When I mailed them they said 6 weeks! I got mine by doing something strange- walking down to my local independant tyre trader! Different approach to the usual internetting, but worked.

Whoever they order from (I presume the main wholesaler?) had them in stock, and down pretty quickly.

Rare rims do have them in stock and werent bad on price at all, but Im in Jersey, and that just added another dimension.
Old 30 August 2010, 10:41 PM
Grant74
Scooby Regular

Little update- used them at our hillclimb today, and very pleased. I started on a set of Dunlop D02's, but couldnt get any heat into them, so they were very slippy.

So put the Yokos back on, and my times came straight down by 2 seconds over a 50 odd second course.

Nice solid sidewall, and very progressive when they let go. I was getting a little more wheelspin than usual, but then I was going faster and able to put down more power.

They also heated up very quickly and were pretty warm by the top, so ideal. No idea if they might overheat on a track dependant on how long you stay out.

On the road, they have been fantastic- not too bad in the wet but thats definately not their strength.
Old 30 August 2010, 10:51 PM
b0x
Scooby Regular

Great review, good man
Old 30 August 2010, 10:55 PM
Grant74
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate- I also took 1 second off my PB and set the new record, so very happy with them! Car hasnt changed spec otherwise since last run.
Old 30 August 2010, 11:00 PM
b0x
Scooby Regular

It's weird, I don't often get reviews on Yokos, but everyone who uses them seems to rate them fairly highly!

Always nice to hear some more positive feedback.
Old 31 August 2010, 04:58 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope these are not like the ones they fitted to the evo 9, god they warmed up quickish but then went right off when hot
Have parda 2's on the type r which are pretty decent though

Tony