Notices
Wheels, Tyres & Brakes

Handbrake Woes but what a top bloke :-)

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2010, 07:21 PM
baz995
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handbrake Woes but what a top bloke :-)

Hi all

Finally got round to fitting my front and rear discs and pads today, front was a piece of **** then i started the rears! gave my ole mate Dave Beck a bell and he came round to offer some advice.

I used the 8mm bolt from the bonnet catch to take the disc off, the handbrake was off. All was going well and the disc was moving off when there was a couple of twang sounds and i could see two springs in the gap between the centre hub not and the disc, bolx. Cup of tea time, during which i showed dave the TMIC from a STi type Uk i sourced. Chuffed to bits when he said he would fit it whilst i was busy fooking up the rear disc change lol. So off he cracked. Took me maybe an hour to fettle and get flashed up that the disc would not come off as the bloody shoes were stiff against the disc, couldnt see the adjuster so couldnt play around with that.

Dave had a go (after i loosened it), and it came off thank god. We worked out how it all went togeether and refitted the shoes and spring bolx all back together. I cracked on fitting the new disc and cleaning the caliper up for the new pads etc and Dave said i should bin the standard DV and fit this, tada, out he pops a Forge DV from his boot! so he fitted that.

Got all the brakes done up and tidy and went for a test drive and all good except an intermittent, as in not constant but still every turn of the rear wheel there is a strange scrapping noise, sadly this was the side that we had to re-build so not 100% sure its not something we have induced? any ideas?

and big thanks to Dave for offering most of his day to help me, fitting my TMIC and slapping a Forge on, top bloke.
Old 13 August 2010, 07:24 PM
baz995
Scooby Regular

OK found out what the noise was, too the wheel and disc back off and i refitted the shoes incorrectly, as in , the pins that have the spring and cup washer on them, i had the spring (like a dufus) in between the hub and shoe! not between the shoe and cup washer, this then meant that the shoes werent flush with the hub and were rubbing on the internal surface of the disc, what a **** eh lol.
Old 15 August 2010, 11:03 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I done the same thing first time I changed the handbrake shoes. Because they popped off with the disc, I wasn't sure where it went.
Old 05 September 2010, 02:23 PM
DaveBeck
412/425 of forged love

No worries me old mucka

good brews