ABS warning light issues

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2012, 07:56 PM
jcool
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS warning light issues

Evenin'

I'm after a bit of advice about the ABS. I've got an '07 (hawkeye) WRX which has been running absolutely fine, but for the last 3 or 4 months, the ABS light comes on whilst driving. It's usually when I go over a bump in the road, and then it stays on for the rest of the journey. Turning the engine off & on again switches the light off until I go over another bump. The ABS works absolutely fine even with the light on.

Had the stealership take a look at it a month ago coz it wouldn't get through the MOT with the light on. They told me there were approx 50 error code episodes relating to the rear nearside ABS sensor and approx 4 error code episodes which were 'unknown'. A new ABS sensor & £350 later, the light had gone off and it passed the MOT.

Today, hit a bump and the light came on for the first time in a month . So the choices now are...

A) Take it back to the dealer, shell out some more money for a diagnostic check, shell out even more money for the next replacement part (assuming it's not the ABS sensor they replaced) and maybe still have the light come on every now & again

B) Get myself an OBDII lead, a copy of ECUExplorer and have a crack at it myself

C) Ignore it until the next MOT is due

D) Ask the good people of Scooby.net for their advice

Any advice? Specifically wondering how easy it is to get the OBDII jobby working to get hold of the error codes - the interface seems pretty cheap on Ebay...

Cheers!

Jez
Old 05 February 2012, 11:27 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Jez

Have look on eBay or contact here breakers for ABS sensor,they will not cost more than £100.

We are replaced and we are still get same ABS error,later on we are replaced hubs(or our garage did) and this problem has been solved with ABS error.In our case ABS sensor has been damaged with one from two rear hubs.

ECU explorer or something like Romraider will not read codes for ABS or Airbag and other things(4EAT TCU codes etc.),for reading you will need Subaru select monitor or something which can read these codes.

Usually normal OBD reader will not read ABS codes,i'm afraid

Here is good guide how to read codes on yours

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192583

Jura
Old 05 February 2012, 12:24 PM
Fizz
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There can be two issues here. I had the same.. it could be the wiring under the rear bench either pinching or broken or the plug loose, but mine ended ip being a wheel bearing so badly worn, there were no noises from thus by the way. That it damaged the sensor. I would check the wiring under your bench first
Old 05 February 2012, 06:05 PM
jcool
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheers for that fellas, especially that link. Will have a look over the wiring then have a look at the bearing...

J