ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   whats quicker? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/587426-whats-quicker.html)

RB5SCOTT 01 March 2007 05:54 PM

Having owned a wrx uk300 and then it with 400bhp, and now the missus has an M3 cab. I can say that the M3 is nowhere near the scoobs for feeling fast or turbo torque but an M3 driven at the top end of the rev range ( and thats basically how you drive if you were racing or on a track) i don't think that either of my scoobs could really live with it.

When the uk300 had 400 bhp maybe it would be a bit quicker but what really matters is when you come to the corners. The scoob would either grip or understeer and be one of the most boring cars to drive but the plasticy dash and crap interior and quality of the whole car would make me feel better because i have a cheap car that goes quite well ;) :p....... Incidently when ever i fancy having a bit of fun around the twisties :D or going 130mph plus, the M3 wins on all accounts, and i can do this on a winters night with the roof down and heated seats on while watching the TV :D

alanbell 01 March 2007 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by RB5SCOTT (Post 6709286)
Having owned a wrx uk300 and then it with 400bhp, and now the missus has an M3 cab. I can say that the M3 is nowhere near the scoobs for feeling fast or turbo torque but an M3 driven at the top end of the rev range ( and thats basically how you drive if you were racing or on a track) i don't think that either of my scoobs could really live with it.

When the uk300 had 400 bhp maybe it would be a bit quicker but what really matters is when you come to the corners. The scoob would either grip or understeer and be one of the most boring cars to drive but the plasticy dash and crap interior and quality of the whole car would make me feel better because i have a cheap car that goes quite well ;) :p....... Incidently when ever i fancy having a bit of fun around the twisties :D or going 130mph plus, the M3 wins on all accounts, and i can do this on a winters night with the roof down and heated seats on while watching the TV :D

Nice cars M3,s Does your TV work when your driving :wonder:

RoRu 01 March 2007 06:14 PM

You just need a tv in motion cable :D:D

HM3 01 March 2007 06:16 PM

The M3 is the quicker car once moving in my experience. Away from a set of lights it depends on who is driving it and how, but once moving I would expect the M3, even a cab, to pull away slowly. I had a couple of E46 M3's and only once did I have a run in with an STi when I could actually be bothered to 'have a go'. All I can say, and I have no idea what model of STi it was, but it was last year, it was a blue one with gold wheels and a huge boot spoiler (not sure colour adds much though :wonder: ) and my M3 of the time was quicker. Not very scientific, but I know we were both trying and I went past him and pulled away a little.

It makes me laugh how some people seem to equate the type of car someone drives with their ability behind the wheel too, as do other misconceptions such as this one..

"Quite interestingly, pressing the SPORT button on the M3 makes a hell of a difference to rolling in gear acceleration."

Utter rubbish, it adds NOTHING to the power just means the throttle is more responsive in the first 50% of travel, which is the same as moving your foot further, though my personal faves from this thread were:

“The scoobies have the potential to shock/upset the bigger and better cars in many normal driving situations and I guess that is why most drivers of these big cars hate scoobies!! ” and “Put it this way, a 911 driver with his misses sitting next to him would think twice about racing a half decent scooby or evo off the lights with the chance of being embarrased.”

Personaly I appreciate good cars and appreciate the Scooby as very good at what it does, why would I hate them?? As a 911 driver you're probably right, but only because I don't have a fragile ego and feel the need to prove anything. Why would I be bothered if one car is faster than mine?? I have never bought ANY car to be the quickest away from the lights, its an utter irrelevance. I personaly wouldn't bother most the time because I wont have paid any attention to your car ;)

M3’s are quick cars, CSL's even more so but they are very different in the way they go about their business. I drive a GT3 now, so I guess using the criteria above I must be the ultimate driving god, (nope, proves that one wrong then!:lol1: ). Most M3 owners, like most Scooby owners don’t give a flying F about which is quicker either in my experience. You might have noticed I am not a regular here, just got pointed here from my regular haunt and thought I would add my 2p's worth.

:thumb:

nathanb 01 March 2007 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Robocop (Post 6706607)
For a bit of a laugh, have a look at this. It doesn't list the MY06. :)
Quarter Mile Simulator

Great!! Doesnt work when I pick scooby WRX!!!

bohnjegley 01 March 2007 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Robocop (Post 6706607)
For a bit of a laugh, have a look at this. It doesn't list the MY06. :)
Quarter Mile Simulator

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
What a load of CR@P. The Veyron does a 1/4 mile in 6.2 secs, terminals of 252mph, don't think so.

banny sti 01 March 2007 07:15 PM

M3's best thing since sliced bread! ;)

Banny

scoobyvsm3 01 March 2007 07:34 PM

ive never heard such a load of old rubbish...wrx beating M3s are you having a laugh.

ive had several M3s and scoobies and am glad to be back in a 04 M3
theirs absoultly no way a standard STI PPP can beat an M3 let alone a wrx..why are you people saying they can for??

i know my M3 cant beat a lambo but u dont hear me saying "yeh its quicker it feels quick i beat him in germany"

come on guys dream on..its getting boring:sleep::sleep: :sleep:
M3 is better in ever aspect to a scooby...nuff said..

banny sti 01 March 2007 07:48 PM

Right mate seen as its so good, you can sling your hook to the M3 forum and gloat there!!!

Banny

DeltaBravo 9 01 March 2007 07:52 PM

agreed !!

gillyz20let 01 March 2007 07:56 PM

my old evo6 vs a tuned e36 m3 evo. both of us took off at the same time as my clutch was almost dead but as soon as my clutch bit i was away.

Video - my evo 6 vs e36 m3 evo drag race

bbigman2000 01 March 2007 08:36 PM

Quality Thread.

Im on my 4th M car now 54plate Manual M3 which is my second E46 M3, also owned 4 scoobies, and an evo, I went back to an M3 from an RS6 saloon (450bhp).

I reckon I am qualified to respond, but I just cant bring myself :)

gillyz20let 01 March 2007 08:49 PM

its want you want out of the car at the end of the day.

ive had a few bm's inc M and alpinas and there good cars in the right conditions.

the subaru is not an out right straight line car as it has 4wd and is 2litre so tends to loose out at higher speeds where as bigger engines tend to pull better at high speeds

put in some twisty b roads and its a diffrent story

if you want cheap straight line speed buy a mk4 supra tt, i had one with 3k of mods and made 475bhp timed a 0-100 in 8.4 sec and 0-180mph in 32sec, not bad for a car oweing me 14k.

94impreza 01 March 2007 09:01 PM

How does the impreza fair when comparing cost new of a top of the line STI against an M3 or 911?.

gillyz20let 01 March 2007 09:30 PM

half the price of an m3 and 1/5th of the price of a 911

LG John 01 March 2007 09:46 PM

and half the quality of the M3 and 1/5th the prestige of a 911.....

:D

jubhi 01 March 2007 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by scoobyvsm3 (Post 6709590)
ive never heard such a load of old rubbish...wrx beating M3s are you having a laugh.

ive had several M3s and scoobies and am glad to be back in a 04 M3
theirs absoultly no way a standard STI PPP can beat an M3 let alone a wrx..why are you people saying they can for??

Yes, an STI PPP can beat an M3, I have done so. Also look at the top gear track times, the STI PPP is almost 2 secs quicker around the track, with Stig at the wheel. Nuff Said :razz: :lol1:

flat4_ire 01 March 2007 09:58 PM

This thread was going fine til dopey jayltee1 said his standard 220bhp wrx beat his friends E46 M3, dont get me wrong, i love scoobs and most japs cars, hell ive owned heaps and i import them but theyre are just some better cars out there and its simple as that, and in my eyes the E46 M3 is one of them, 340bhp and not a turbo or this and that or any of that crap needed ;)

MICAWRX 01 March 2007 10:17 PM

Please continue to argue about straight line drags... it is fairly funny... Its what M3's were designed for, they are pretty good at it, and as described, they would monster most Imprezas...

..the impreza comes into its own entering high speed turns, as proven by the jap guys... the 2WD cars have to back off at 200km/h M3 included.. this is not a mickey mouse driver... it is the Jap Drift king Keiichi Tsuchiya, not a stranger to fast cars... and he lifts in the M3..
(the impreza was a Spec C mind!)

Only way you'll defend a superiority claim as I see it...

Best Motoring International - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

GeeJayDoubleYou 01 March 2007 10:56 PM

never been in an sti but have test driven a few wrx's (i know they arent as fast by a long way) and my mates m3 would absolutly anihialate (dont know how to spell properly!!!) the wrx.......although i wouldnt admit that to him :Whatever_
i did have a 340bhp 300zx which would of been roughly the same(ish)

TonyBurns 01 March 2007 11:12 PM

Right, lets put some bits to rest here ;)
Transmission losses..... wow, 2wd v 4wd, on the latest STi's the losses will be 2-3% more than the 2wd car, no more than that, thats all they loose, a wrx may loose more due to the diff type, but then thats a diff for you :p

WRX v E46 M3, well M3 wins that hands down, my old PPP'd (decat 260bhp) classic came across an M3, thought id have a go, it was an SMG, it went, I didnt, and why not? because of the gears, it had me right there, either red line and change straight away or foot down and see what happens..... it left me dead.

Now, Spec C (JDM map and STi panel filter, uk optimax and ob) I didnt come across 1 E46 M3 that could keep up, in gear or though the gears, that car was awesom :D

PPP'd STi.... nope, not a chance of keeping up with an E46 M3 after 100mph, they miss one big thing ;)

JDM STi.... yup id say these would keep up :)

Classic STi.... gearing is a problem here.....

Conclusion.
If you dont have a shed load of torque then you wont keep up with an M3, simple as that, BHP means nothing when your up there, its the torque.

Ta :)

Tony (now with a BMW engined car.... :cry: and I miss me baby :cry: )

Fred Fredburger 01 March 2007 11:18 PM

I'd sooner walk than drive a Subaru,thanks.....

alanbell 01 March 2007 11:27 PM

:razz: :nono: :cuckoo: :freak3: :rolleyes: walk away Fred :sleep:

Fred Fredburger 01 March 2007 11:30 PM

The lunkheads choice of vehicle these days,innit;)

Scoobyfirsttime 01 March 2007 11:31 PM

Why do we have to keep having the same arguments all the time - first it was Essex Aaron (remember him?) then some guy with an Astra GTE and now its the BMW I'm so f**king superior crew. Who cares which car is faster, speed limit is 70mph max in this country so it doesn't really matter does it ??:brickwall

andythejock01wrx 01 March 2007 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by TonyBurns (Post 6710231)
Right, lets put some bits to rest here ;)
Transmission losses..... wow, 2wd v 4wd, on the latest STi's the losses will be 2-3% more than the 2wd car, no more than that, thats all they loose, a wrx may loose more due to the diff type, but then thats a diff for you :p

Are you sure about this ? I understood that a typical rwd had tranmission losses of around 15%, a 4wd closer to 24% ?

alanbell 01 March 2007 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Fred Fredburger (Post 6710240)
I'd sooner walk than drive a Subaru,thanks.....

:sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :cuckoo: :p

bbigman2000 01 March 2007 11:52 PM

The truth is,
Scoobies are great at what they do, i.e all weather handling, performance, good and safe, hard to crash, tuneable any scoob thats well set up over 300bhp is nice to drive.

Anything less than that is utter garbage from my experiance.

The M3, is an awesome car in the Dry, but a scooby with similar flywheel power 340-345bhp is gonna be as fast if not faster.

I love the M3 engine, infact I love the M3 for its looks, its build, its heritage, its style, its noise, its luxury, its long service intervals, and its cheap to run not that that concerns me one bit.

heres my one for you guys
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u...man2000/M3.jpg

LG John 02 March 2007 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by jubhi (Post 6710005)
Yes, an STI PPP can beat an M3, I have done so. Also look at the top gear track times, the STI PPP is almost 2 secs quicker around the track, with Stig at the wheel. Nuff Said :razz: :lol1:

I'd love to know under what abortion of physics a 300bhp 4WD car at around 1400kg is quicker than a 343bhp RWD car at around 1600kg!

94impreza 02 March 2007 12:32 AM

_______________________________BHP Weight BHP/Ton 1/4 Term
BMW M3 Coupe CS E46____________338 1570 __218.7 _13.28 107.51
Subaru Impreza WRX Sti SpecC03___ 325 1380 __239. __12.55 111.54
Subaru Impreza WRX Sti SpecC2.506 320 1350 __240.8 __12.53 111.53

It would appear a specC would win hands down up to 110mph, if you want to argue above and beyond that then thats up to you. Considering the weight difference the scoob would have the advantage on any bends as well. Its only really an arguement a to whether the M3 would catch up beyond 110MPH if your talking about a very long road, with no turn at the end ;).